All our families and communities have healed from trauma and choose to live their lives in acknowledgement of our deep ancestral connections, drawing on cultural ways of knowing, being and doing and supporting our people to thrive and flourish in this and future generations.
Our values include:
- providing respectful and responsive support
- working in trauma informed and culturally safe ways
- honesty and integrity in our relationships
- working collaboratively with communities, and
- strengthening resilience and wellbeing of communities.
The Principal Purpose of Thirrili is to provide crucial supports to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples suffering grief, loss and trauma due to the loss of a loved one through suicide and other critical incidents. To contribute to the improved social and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people we:
- Influence policy development and program design by demonstrating the value of Indigenous led postvention services as a key contribution to Indigenous suicide prevention and postvention strategies.
- Provide expert, evidence-informed advice to drive jurisdictional and national change which leads to improvements in the social and emotional wellbeing of suicide involved families.
- Advocate for funding to Aboriginal led and controlled services to deliver culturally safe and responsive services with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples; and
- Strengthen individual, family and community resilience and wellbeing through delivery of a critical response system to support affected individuals and families after their experience of suicides and traumatic incidents.